Friday, October 15, 2010

you found this at Meijer....really?

who knew? 

I was killing some time the other week at the grocery store and stumbled across Katie Brown's new line.  I didn't really know Katie Brown but I remembered my friend Shawna wearing a cute pair of gardening gloves that she said were Katie Brown brand and that she got them at Meijer.  So I was intrigued.  As I looked around I saw all sorts of cute things that I wanted!!  I was so excited to find such cute items at Meijer, right in my own backyard.  (isn't that part of their marketing campaign?)  Meijer isn't really in my backyard.  That would be horrible.  But you get my point.  Anyway, I resisted buying anything that day, but last weekend when I was in Mt. Pleasant visiting my family, my mom, Aunt Suzy and I were grocery shopping and I just had to show them the Katie Brown line that I had stumbled upon the week earlier.  We all thought it was pretty great and pretty affordable, and then, just like that, I a little red clearance sticker caught my eye.  Ah ha, looky here, what I found for $11.98!!  A dark wooden pedestal. 

So, here's the thing, cake plates and I are pretty much best friends.  I have a little collection of, well, like 8 or so...and growing.  They're all glass, clear, white or robbin's egg blue...and I have been wanting some that are pewter and dark wood.  So when I saw this one and saw that it was on sale...I knew that it would be coming home with me.  (I rarely make cakes so my cake plates get used primarily for display on my shelves...and secondly to serve hors d'oeuvres and other cute little nibblers when I  have company.)


Meet Katie Brown. I don't know her real well yet but now that I know about her I plan to stalk her product line at Meijer.  I hear she has a TV show.  I don't know if I can commit to watching it...(my DVR is already booked and I am not sure I am comfortable cheating on my relationship with Law & Order yet.)  But I do plan to get better acquainted with Katie soon.  I just love her Kitchen & Dining Orchard Collection.


Here's the Orchard Glass Dome & Wood Pedestal that I bought.  (I only bought the pedestal.  the dome is cute but not quite my style.)  It came in 2 or 3 different sizes.  I bought it on clearance for $11.98.  Score!

 And this cute little number is on my wish list. 

It's a pretty massive bowl...I am not exactly sure what I would do with it, except keep it on a shelf.  (I have a tendency to shop for my shelves rather than shopping for function.)  But I just love the cut out handles!  I am also waiting for it to go on sale.  Even though it is only $24.99 I am trying to be less of an impulse shopper and be more price conscious and would like to hold out for a good deal.  (thanks a lot, Zeeland.)  My husband is so proud and my mom must be so ashamed!  (my mom is the kind of customer that retailers like...the kind that shops for quality and style and doesn't mind paying full price when she finds the perfect item...whereas my husband (and without over generalizing tooooo much) along with a few other west michiganders, shops for bargains, period.  No matter the quality or style.  If it has a sale sticker on it it must be a good deal (whether you need it...or even like it or not!)  I hope to be a balance between the two shopping philosophies.  Usually it depends on the store I am in.  I am proud to say that I have gotten pretty good and saying "No" when I don't need to buy something.  Did I need the wooden pedestal.  Well, no, not really.  So maybe need is the wrong word.  More like, I have gotten good at saying no to something if I don't have a spot for it in my house.  I don't like clutter and I don't like junk (whether it's homegoods, bulk size groceries, clothes that I never wear or whathaveyou..if it's not going to get used or doesn't have a spot to be stored/displayed...it will not be allowed in the house.)  This is my best attempt to not become a pack rat.

 So...you cute big bowl, you...I am not sure if we will ever be together.  First I must find a spot for you.

This one I really don't need, but I still wanted to show you how cute it was...just in case you might need it! :)  Becky...if you're reading...I think this has your name all over it!

This wooden baby is another piece on my wish list.  This is also a future shelf item for my home.  I like wooden bowls -- a primitive touch, learned from my MIL, who actually has given me a few beautiful antique wooden bread and dough bowls.  Love them.  Thanks Rox!

You can kind of see my huge wooden antique dough bowl, from Rox, on the kitchen island.  It is filled with white pumpkins in this picture.  I generally keep fruit or seasonal naturals in it. It's one of my favorite antiques! 


But...back to the Katie Brown bowl, let's get one thing straight...I am in no way opposed to faux antiques...or reproductions. I shop for the overall look, not the overall value. So although the Katie Brown bowl is not an antique I am pretty much convinced it would compliment my other wood bowls nicely.

Good job, Meijer.  Good job.

1 comment: